Click the link above to view the handbook. This handbook should answer any questions you have as it relates to the entire thesis process (mentors, due dates, structure).
Class of 2022
The link above is your Central Magnet Senior Thesis Handbook. Please feel free to read over this invaluable document! It will serve you very well throughout the thesis process!
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
October – December 2021
Fri-November 5............................ All methodology initiated; Mentor Meetings Completed
• Surveys must be peer reviewed AND approved by English Teacher and FOSA
• Mentors should use the Microsoft Form on Thesis Webpage for meeting verification
Fri-November 12………........…… Ch. 1: Introduction AND Ch. 2: Review of Literature
• Five additional sources should be included in Chapter 2
Fri-December 10 ……………........ FOSA Meeting and Writing Lab completed
December 13-17…………....…… Chapter 3: Methodology due on the day of your mid-term
• Chapter 2 resubmitted with highlighted revisions
Resources you will need all year:
Senior Thesis Website
Create a personal portfolio (EVERYONE WILL HAVE THEIR VERY OWN WEBSITE) or similar collection of work, that illustrates mastery of skills and knowledge outlined in the previous courses and applied in the practicum. The portfolio should reflect thoughtful assessment and evaluation of the progression of work involving the application of steps of the scientific inquiry.
Free Website Sites
Class Example: https://cmsbiomedsenior.weebly.com/
These are the tabs of your website ! Everyone will have the same "menu" or "tool bar" titles. Make sure that you adhere to these below...yes in this order!
- HOME - FIRST IMPRESSION...make a good one! This tab gets you back to the beginning no matter where you go on your webpage!
- ABOUT ME- career and personal goals-next steps-"your plan", include your resume!
- RESEARCH- (2 drop downs-- PAPER RESEARCH and PROJECT)-describe and list those sources that have helped with the development of your paper, review of literature!-your project...by chapter as each is completed!
- PROJECT MEDIA- examples of visual materials developed and used during the course (such as graphics, drawings, models, presentation slides, videos, and demonstrations)
- MENTOR INFORMATION - all about your mentor
- QUARTERLY REFLECTIONS - journal entries reflecting on tasks and activities-see specific dates and questions below:
Quarter 1: 9/30/21 (50 pts)
1. What did you find the most challenging when selecting a topic?
2. What steps did you take to secure a mentor?
3. What action steps will you take to work on your project during the 2nd quarter?
Quarter 2: 11/30/21 (50 pts)
1. As you researched for your paper, what connections did you make between your paper topic and your project? Articulate that connection as best as possible.
2. In what way have you been communicating with your mentor? How are you staying on track with your mentor as you move towards completing the project?
3. What action steps do you need to take during 3rd quarter to finalize your project (knowing that all projects must be completed by April 14, 2022)?
Quarter 3: 02/29/22 (50 pts)
1. Over the course of the year, did your project change and grow into something unexpected? Describe.
2. How will you incorporate the final project/product into your presentation? What will be your visual representation(s) of the work you did throughout this year? 3. What are some of the roadblocks you've encountered in completing your project and how did you overcome those roadblocks?
Quarter 4: 03/31/22 (50 pts)
1. Final personal reflection on the senior thesis project, from the beginning of selecting your topic to the final oral defense. This is a personal reflection!